Song of Dreams: My recruitment experience

Sunday, September 7, 2014

I've been MIA for a while, and I promise I have a good reason. Some of you know, and some of you may not know, that I made the decision to go through sorority recruitment when I was living in DC last semester. Something I've always wanted, but never thought I had time for, sorority life seemed like a perfect fit for me. Being alone is my greatest fear, and with sorority sisters, I knew that loneliness would not be in my vocabulary. When I signed up, I was nervous that I wouldn't click with any of the chapters. On the first night, I loved all six sororities on my campus, and began to wonder how I would ever choose. Sure enough, on the second day of recruitment, one chapter made my heart race. Every day my love for this chapter grew and grew, and I was loving every second I had with these girls. On bid day, I couldn't eat or think. All I knew was that I had my heart set on my chapter, and they were the ones for me. That night, all of the incoming new members met on the recreational fields and anxiously waited to find out who they would be joining on the other side of the field. In our small groups we were arranged into circles so that we couldn't see each other, and were handed our bids behind our backs. My recruitment friend, Hayley and I both had different "second choice" chapters, and knew that if our envelopes matched up, that we would BOTH be running home to Kappa Delta. When the director of Fraternity and Sorority Life was counting down: three, two, one, my heart was running a thousand miles a minute. KD.KD.KD... I pulled out my envelope and have never experienced the feeling that followed. Hayley and I both looked down, and before we even opened our bids, we started to cry and scream. We were running home to KayDee! I opened the envelope for a split second, grabbed Hayley's arm, and ran across the field to my sisters. I sprinted into the open arms of my new sisters and couldn't stop my heart from beating. As I saw all of the women who made me fall for Kappa Delta through recruitment, the emotions kept flooding back. I couldn't catch my breath, and I thought that in that moment, I could never be happier in my life. My bid day buddy, Jessica, found me and handed me my gorgeous bag and helped me find a shirt. I was wearing bright pink Nike's and as it turns out, the bid day shirts were my favorite: blush pink. I was shaking as I slipped on my tank and tried to just hold it together and not look like the freak show that was happening in my mind. When I saw that I was being handed a giraffe print KD sign, I think I could have just died on the spot. GIRAFFE. KAYDEE. HEART PALPITATIONS. Bid day with Kappa Delta was one of the best days of my life, and I can't wait to experience many more memories with these women whom I already love. The depth of kindness that I felt on that day is indescribable, and can never be replicated. Seeing older sisters around campus and feeling like I'm never alone anymore, is worth all of the nerves that came from recruitment week. My future with Kappa Delta shines bright. I plan on talking about my recruitment experience a little more in depth later on, but for now I wanted to share some photos of the past week with you all!
Our school held pre-recruitment events, and this was the first one. They showed the movie "The Neighbors" outside, and I had a great time bonding with my recruitment counselor, Sophie, and my friend Kaitlyn.

This was Philanthropy day, the day before Bid Day, with Sophie.
Hanging out on Bid day before we were sorority women.
Miss Hayley, before we opened our bids.
This was the moment I opened my bid and found out that I would be a Kappa Delta. Hayley's face looked just as crazy as mine did. 
Before we ran home, I could see the Kaydees across the field, not knowing if I would be joining them soon. 
Once I ran home, my bid day buddy, Jessica met me in the crowd and helped me shed my old shirt for the one that held our letters.
This is Anna. We love Anna. 
How adorable are we.
The UNCC Greek community, embracing their new members.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground